BASE FAQ, or why not jump (part 2)
4. Q: so what to jump on? Here I have a Radar, it seems to open quickly …
A: … if at all opens. The BASE system has 3 great tasks:
1. brake the falling body in the shortest possible time. The earth successfully copes with this task, so the additional condition is to brake softly enough without breaking the neck.2. After opening, fly away from the object to a safe distance.
3. to put the body on a limited site in difficult weather conditions, again, as softly as possible, without damage.
The aforementioned Radar very unreliably satisfies 1, bad 3 and very bad 2. As a result, it can with some probability save lives on several high, less difficult jumps, and is absolutely not suitable for serious ones. In any case, the probability of killing on the Radar is at least an order of magnitude higher than necessary. It is safe to predict the death of a radar operator when jumping from any of Moscow houses, for example.
5. Q: Well, I actually knew that Radar was sux. Which is better?
A: the experience gained by those 40 corpses and countless fractures, determined a more or less ideal system. In outline:
Dome: large, durable 7-sectional f-111 with dacron slings. Why…
Big: trying to get into the “mats” of concrete slabs fenced with barbed wire, without further comment. At the same time, some speed is needed, sometimes there is wind. I weigh ~ 70kg, my ideal dome size is ~ 20..22 square meters. If you jump in the mountains at high altitude, a bigger bag is better.
Durable: delays up to 3..4 seconds jump without a slider. The opening is instant, the load on the bag is ultimate.
!!! The maximum delay without a slider is 4 seconds. !!!
7 sections: here it’s important not even the number of sections, but the extension. Empirically perfect lengthening 2.0 just at the majority of 7-sectioners. The smaller the elongation, the less the likelihood of overlap – the main and almost the only failure when jumping without a slider; the bag opens more stable in the selected direction; has a lower speed after opening, if you still turned to the object; calmly behaving in a dump if the wall is already very close; sits easier on a limited area; finally, a large jellyfish does not distort his profile too much.
Large elongation increases aerodynamic quality, therefore elongation
much less than 2 is also undesirable.
f-111: a fairly strong, lightweight fabric that minimizes air leakage. Heavy fabric will remind of itself wherever it is necessary to climb higher than one hundred meters, in addition, a huge jellyfish will be needed with the same size of the bag. Zero-porosity, “nulling”, is also not suitable – it is much more difficult to put it carefully, opening is less predictable, jumping without a slider is fraught with loss of bag and health, it is difficult to work for accuracy, and after landing it is much more difficult to stuff the dome into a backpack.
Dacron (kapron): important for jumping without a slider. A wing without a slider opens instantly, a stop crane. Dacron slings stretch slightly,
cushioning the blow, and the microline does not stretch and increases the probability of breaking
spine and tear bag. Kevlar (Soviet SVM) doesn’t seem to stretch too much.
For all delays:
1. Staggering of control lines in a position close to the dump (but not in the dump!). It helps a lot in case of 180 (opening facing the object), in addition, it reduces the likelihood of overlap.
2. The ideal length of the string is 3 meters. Short strand holds jellyfish
in shading, too long is also bad. The top of the dome where the strand is tied should be reinforced.
3. Tailpocket – a pocket on the tail for laying slings. Describe lazily – look at the domes or, again, to the Hairy. Since the camera is missing and the bag fits directly into the satchel, a pocket is vital.
4. Jellyfish from nulevka, the grid is large, the sizes are different for different delays.
In large jellyfish there are no lugs – they are held in the hand during the jump, or if in a pocket, they are grabbed and pulled right by the rag. Otherwise, the strenga that is tied to the boss can kill.
Delays 0..3 seconds:
The slider is removed or simply remains at the bottom, tied to the front ends. The back should be free – they are controlled by the bag. Sizes of jellyfish from 120cm for 0..1sec. To 105cm for 2..3sec.
The control lines are removed from the rings on the slider and the ends, and after stripping remain in the hands. In case of overlap, which happens only
with control lines, they are simply thrown, they fly away, the overlap disappears,
and the bag is driven and seated at the rear ends.
Arming only with special control loops with studs –
in case of overlap, the load on them is huge and the usual ones are not cut out.
It’s not worth joking here – spontaneous stripping at the disclosure leads to premature death.